I recently read a great article entitled, “Is the Traditional Sales Model Dead for Technology B-to-B Companies?” It is something we wrote about in Downhill, The Building of Healthy and Fast Moving Startups”. And we are consulting, with great success, in turning around sales PROCESS to achieve high growth … where none existed.
We “almost” guarantee 100% sales improvement. Why? Because most of our clients are either not doing the right things or are not doing anything. That is not a negative. Many clients have just not had a sales program. Many clients are saddled with a highly expensive legacy program that they can’t get away from. I always say it is not where you start, it is where you finish. I really don’t have an earth shattering program, so it is pretty easy to tell you the highlights:
- Eliminate traditional sales behavior and replace it with technology consultancy.
- Clean up your digital and media to be consistent, award winning and effective with customer values.
- Create customer driven options to buy your products. Flip the game.
- Invest in storybook marketing from the “brand to the basement.”
- Celebrate your success with your customers in a public way.
I could write Downhill Volume 2 around these five attributes. If you can’t do these things, you won’t grow. As I proclaim this, there are exceptions to any thing. This is no different. But, I would say that almost every great technology company from Microsoft/Apple to now has adopted these rules. These five things are so ingrained in successful technology companies that they don’t think about it anymore.